Let’s face it, video encoding may be where you spend
the most CPU cycles, but security is still at the core of every
video business. Digital rights management (DRM) may not
be the hottest topic in town, but it is an essential ingredient
of content preparation and delivery. The primary drivers
for DRM use have always been and will continue to be the
enforcement of service business models and protection of
intellectual property in content licensing requirements. But
you can see that protecting video streams helps enable all
forms of service monetization remain effective and secure,
even while the diversity of business offerings and video
consumption devices grows dramatically.
Reaping the benefits of DRM protection requires some
infrastructure beyond the main topic of this guide, the
processing of the video itself. Let’s consider the challenges
of setting up this infrastructure:
• Licensing each DRM technology and
adhering to the various terms of the license
• Building a resilient infrastructure to handle key requests
• Setting up monitoring & management process
to guarantee uptime
• Regular maintenance and updates to maintain
A whole lot of resources—and time—might need to be
committed before the first dollars of service revenue roll in.
And your focus is probably time to market and maintaining
an edge in service delivery technologies and operations. How
can this challenge be addressed?
The answer may well be access to DRM as a service
(DRMaaS). A cloud-based DRMaaS certainly could take care
of all the infrastructure requirements, but what are the other
qualities you should be looking for in such a service? You
don’t want such a technology or business relationship to be a
limiting factor in your service’s future. Consider these issues:
• Feature completeness—no limits on the configurations
of business model supported.
• Ease of integration—straightfor ward linkage between
the service and your business back end.
• Scalability—cost-effective scaling of security from the
first stream delivery to market domination.
• Reliability—no business losses due to downtime or
• Standards support—tracking the fast-moving world of
streaming technology and industry alliances.
• Business transparency—easy to understand reporting
And where can you turn for a DRM service with all those
important qualities? That’s right! You come to the original
DRM as a Cornerstone
of Your Video Business
BY OLGA KORNIENKO, COO/CO-FOUNDER, EZDRM